Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hospital Day 2 & 3

Day 2

David and I woke up on Day 2 and knew we would have lots of visitors and doctors rotating through, so we got Briggs fed and then got me into the shower (best shower ever by the way).  Then our door opened.  It started with the hospital photographer, I knew the prices so although I let her take the shots, I didn't plan on buying any.  Flash forward to today, I am about to order the entire CD, I cannot resist his cuteness.  Then we had visits from my OB and the pediatrician.  Next, a tech came in to do his hearing screen.  Then, we had a visit from the lactation consultant.  Next, a few more visits from the nurse and pediatrician as they checked in on us and made plans for his circumcision. 

We also had a handful of friends and family visitors on Monday.  Aside from my parents and sister coming through, we also had some friends come to meet Briggs.
  



 Melfi stop in and he brought me some yummy cheeseburger soup and then later brought Kim back for some baby love. 

Paula came with her girls who were absolutely adorable to watch! They brought Briggs balloons, a super cute elephant and Caroline made me a bracelet. 




Then, Karen came and brought me some cookies (much appreciated) and spent some quality time cooing with Briggs!  Not sure what she did right, but after she left we had one of our best feedings!! 

After all our visitors we started to settle in for the night.  NOPE, the nurse then informed us that at 1am they would be coming to get Briggs to do a carseat check that would take at least 1 hour and then some bloodwork that would include the bilirubin level.   At 12:40 they came in to get him and I knew I would get at least a 2 hr good nap in.  David woke me up at 3:30 when he realized they hadn't brought him back yet.  This scared me.  The nurse came in pretty much immediately to say that the carseat test went fine, but that his bloodwork showed an elevated bilirubin and that they wanted to start the phototherpy.  This didn't scare me too bad, until they rolled the lights in and set him up under them.  Then I really showed my drop in hormones and cried.  It was so hard to see him under those lights with that mask on, why wasn't my perfect baby perfect??  David let me rest, although it wasn't good rest in our glowing room thinking about this torture, and he stayed up for 3 hours watching Briggs.  The stupid mask they put on him kept sliding down every 5 minutes over his nose and mouth and then there was a sensor on his chest that measured his temperature which had a cord that he continued to get wrapped up in.  So he needed constant attention. 

Day 3
I woke up on Tuesday morning with 100% hopes of going home.  I was done with being confined to the hospital room and I wanted Briggs out from under the stupid light.  We got a good breakfast and started packing up our things.  The nurse came in to say they would come to do his labs again around 10 or 11 and then results would take about an hour.  On Monday night his level had been 9.5 and as long as he came back at or below that, we could go home.  We had a few more visits from my doctor and the lactation consultant and then FINALLY the pediatrician came to say his level was still a 9.5 and that we would be released.  We had orders to really push his intake including adding some supplements and that we'd check again with our pediatrician in a few days.

Krista and Sandy arrived shortly after and just before we had all of our discharge information from the nurse.  They helped us load up all the stuff we have accumulated in less than 48 hours and then helped us get Briggs into the car.  Krista played paparazzi which was great and then they were going to stop at Publix for some groceries as well as our lunch and dinner, thank God!

When David and I pulled up at the house we decided I should go in first to greet and fuss over Logan and then he'd come in with Briggs for the introduction.  Logan came charging for me and then immediately started smelling me!  He knew something was different.  After a few minutes, David came in with Briggs and set his car seat on the floor.  Logan went right over to smell him, but then pretty much ignored him for the next few hours.  Krista and Sandy arrived shortly after and we all feasted!  I got Briggs fed and then headed off for a nap.  When I emerged, the housekeeping gnomes had done amazing work and had dinner in the works.  I was starting to feel human again.  It wasn't long until I realized these girls were leaving me and I wanted to chain myself to the door in an attempt make them stay forever!!






No comments:

Post a Comment