Sunday, February 26, 2012

These are a few of our favorite things...

A friend recently asked me what my favorite baby items are and I totally understand because I was CLUELESS before Briggs came along about what I needed, what I wanted, and what was totally useless!

MY TOP TEN LIST

  1. Diapers & Wipes. I know this might seem extremely obvious.  However, I am so thankful to all the people who gave these as gifts preventing us from having to spend a fortune!!  We are still working through the stockpile and I only buy when there are good sales to keep up the stock!!
  2. The boppy.  It's a must have for anyone who wants to breastfeed.  Early on it was easily the only baby accessory I needed.  We also love it for propping Briggs up on the couch, in the bed, on the floor.  It's a great tool and it's washable!!
  3. Tank Tops.  This is another breast feeding thing and I am so thankful to Karen Neely for passing along her tops for me to use!  I did buy one extra and seriously, the Bravado brand is the BEST.  Expensive, but worth every penny!! 
  4. Swing. Again we are using a hand-me-down here, but life wouldn't be the same without it.  This is where most naps are taken.  The songs it plays will be in my brain forever!
  5. Bouncy/Vibrator Chair.  This is something that was given to me by the Davis family.  I remember before Briggs arrived, I kept looking at it in the box and thinking, "I have a swing, why do I need this? Aren't they the same thing?"  Boy was I wrong!!  Swings are for sleeping, chairs are for chilling!  
  6. Play Mat.  The weekend I decided Briggs was ready for a play mat, I ran right out to BRU and spent $50 on his.  I kicked myself later thinking that was WAY too much.  His mat is worth every penny!!  Now, I do wish I would have had some forethought and bought a used one.  He loves his mat, great entertainment!!  The songs from this thing will be in my head forever too.
  7. Waterproof pads.  You can buy these at  store and we use them under Briggs for every diaper change since we rarely change him on the changing table!  They have saved our bed and the couch from disaster many times!!
  8. CoSleeper/Bassinet.  We don't "co-sleep", but that is what his bed is called.  I guess it's really a bassinet, or a small pack-n-play.  It is the perfect size for him and I cannot imagine not having him next to me from day one ... now I'm not so sure I'll ever be able to move him to his own room!!
  9. Stroller. Now this seems obvious, but I am very specific about which one I LOVE!  The Baby Trend Snap N Go.  It is just a basic frame with wheels that our car seat snaps onto.  SO MUCH EASIER than the big contraptions I see moms fooling with.  Mom picked this up for me from a craiglist ad, money well spent on that one!!
  10. Swaddles.  We followed the Happiest Baby on the Block book and I loved swaddling! Definitely be sure to grab at least one hospital blanket, but we outgrew ours quick ... so again THANKS to Karen we had a borrowed one from Swaddle Designs.  These are the ones to have from the start, for sure so just go ahead and get one.  (http://www.swaddledesigns.com)  They have great designs and the fabric is really nice.
Now beyond this point, I think all the rest of these items are pretty equal.
  • Video Monitor.  We have only used this so far for naps and when we visit at the grands.  I already love it and I know I'll continue to love it when we move Briggs to his own room!  We have the Summer brand and it's been great.
  • Waterproof Labels for daycare.  I stumbled upon these on Etsy and they are genius!!  Permanent marker rubs off of bottles quick and these are easy, cute, and inexpensive!! (http://www.etsy.com/shop/StickyMonkeyLabels?ref=seller_info)
  • Car Seat Carrier Cushion.  Someone gave me a hand-me-down and I have purchased one for a friend since.  Just smart.  (http://www.etsy.com/transaction/62114135)
  • Baby Bath Tub.  We are quickly approaching the point where we won't need this anymore, but from day one to now I can't imagine trying to bathe a slippery baby without it!
  • Medela Pump In Style. Again another accessory for breast feeding.  I have a love/hate relationship with this pump which is the only reason it isn't in my TOP list!  Along with the pump, there are other pumping essentials such as bottles and bags.  
  • Snot Sucker & Humidifier.  Bundling these two together because they were the absolute necessities for Briggs' first cold.  It's so sad to see your little one sick and I'm thankful to these items for giving him some sort of relief.  Be sure to steal the snot sucker from the hospital, the store bought ones are CRAP.  
  • Sound Machine. Another Happiest Baby on the Block essential!  Friends of ours used a basic radio, but I love the softness of the sounds and it has a shut off timer.  I might need one for myself when we finally move Briggs to his own room!
  • iPad. Go ahead and judge me!!  I know it is NOT a baby item, but I must say that I wouldn't have made it through maternity leave without it!!  The iPad is a must because it's small and you can operate it with one hand.
There are certainly other things we received and purchased that I absolutely love.  We have such amazing friends and family that have spoiled our little man to no end!!  We truly have not HAD to buy anything for Briggs.

1 comment:

  1. I would add Aden & Anais blankets, the Ultimate Crib Sheet, a car seat canopy (for everyone who wanted to touch my baby when she was tiny), sleep sacks (snaps are evil in the middle of the night), Baby Oxy Clean, a Piddle Pad, and a good camera! I also love the Orbit labels I got for her bottles, but they aren't a have-to-have.

    ReplyDelete